Platform & City Issues
Why am I running?
I was humbled and honored to be asked by Mayor Svante Myrick to co-facilitate a Strategic Planning Session for Senior Staff and City Council. As we designed the session, our goal was to set some strategic priorities for the city. It was the first time in several years that the staff and council had extended time to meet and discuss city issues and priorities. This is the kind of work that I hoped I would accompish in my first term as a Council Member.
As a result of the two day workshop, we developed and implemented the following strategic themes:
- A Secure, Inclusive, & Engaged Community
- Economically Vital & Fiscally Strong
- Healthy & Culturally Thriving
- Vibrant at its Core, with Strong Neighborhoods & Sustainable Infrastructure
In order to follow through with the next steps of this strategic planning process, I am seeking a second term to continue this vital work. The Government Performance and Accountability (GPA) Committee, of which I am Chair, will be following up on the strategic planning by:
- Performing a comprehensive analysis and implementing a restructure of city boards and committees
- Executing a second citywide resident survey
- Improving the city's public information systems, including the city's website and social media communications
- Working with the new Chief of Staff in the Mayor's office to design and implement a citywide performance measures system
In addition to continuing this important work on the strategic themes, I am also committed to:
- Sidewalk Policy Revision: Many Fall Creek residents have brought concerns and issues to my attention about the city's sidewalk policy. A working group is preparing to bring some significant changes to the policy to Common Council in the coming months. I am seeking an equitable, fair, and transparent program that is financially feasible for both the city and the resident.
- Building the Tax Base: With a large portion of property in the City of Ithaca being tax exempt, mainy from Cornell University, we need to find new ways to increase the tax base without putting a burden on the individual taxpayer. I support smart growth, protection of neighborhoods, and increased density at the city's core.
- Zoning Reform: I am in support of several of the current initiatives underway to move towards a form based code policy.
- Budget Process Reform: This year the City Administration committee, with leadership from 5th Ward representative Chris Proulx, developed a revised budget process, allowing for Council to have a very different impact on the city's budget. I am excited to see this change, and look forward to identifying ways to allow for citizen participation as well as better taxpayer comprehension of the city budget.
Have an issue that you want my input on? What are your priorities? Email me at email@example.com or send me a Tweet or Facebook message.