40 quotes for 40
When I turned 40, I put this list together to define me, so far. Enjoy!
1. Every strike brings me closer to the next home run. --Babe Ruth
2. No game in the world is as tidy and dramatically neat as baseball, with cause and effect, crime and punishment, motive and result, so cleanly defined. --Paul Gallico
3. If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up somewhere else. --Yogi Berra
4. If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader. --John Quincy Adams
5. In matters of style, swim with the current; In matters of principle, stand like a rock. --Thomas Jefferson
6. Leadership: The art of getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it. --Dwight D. Eisenhower
7. When we engage in what we are naturally suited to do, our work takes on the quality of play and it is play that stimulates creativity. --Linda Naiman
8. Why, sometimes I’ve believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll
9. An idea that is developed and put into action is more important than an idea that exists only as an idea. --Edward de Bono
10. If you can dream it, you can do it. --Walt Disney
11. Imagination is more important than knowledge. --Albert Einstein
12. The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. --Eleanor Roosevelt
13. Through humor, you can soften some of the worst blows that life delivers. And once you find laughter, no matter how painful your situation might be, you can survive it. --Bill Cosby
14. Here's your sign. --Bill Engvall
15. I bought some powdered water, but I didn't know what to add. --Steven Wright (click this link for a long list of Steven Wright jokes)
16. Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. --Harriet Van Horne
17. Always start with a larger pot than you think you need. --Julia Child
18. I feel a recipe is only a theme, which an intelligent cook can play each time with a variation. --Madam Benoit
19. When there is plenty of wine, sorrow and worry take wing. -- Ovid
20. Good wine is a necessity of life for me. --Thomas Jefferson
21. Drinking good wine with good food in good company is one of life's most civilized pleasures. --Michael Broadbent
22. Chi si volta, e chi si gira, sempre a casa va finire. -- Italian saying
Translation: No matter where you go or turn, you will always end up at home.
23. Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air. --Ralph Waldo Emerson
24. We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in an ocean. But the ocean would be less because of that missing drop. --Mother Teresa
25. The sea does not reward those who are too anxious, too greedy, or too impatient. One should lie empty, open, choiceless as a beach - waiting for a gift from the sea. -- Anne Morrow Lindbergh
26. The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. --St. Augustine
27. Travel and change of place impart new vigor to the mind. --Seneca
28. If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home. --James Michener
29. I returned to New Orleans, and as soon as I smelled the air, I knew I was home.
It was rich, almost sweet, like the scent of jasmine and roses around our old courtyard.
I walked the streets, savoring that long lost perfume. --Anne Rice
30. Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once. --Chris Rose, 1 Dead in Attic
31. To be engaged in some small way in the revival of one of the great cities of the world is to live a meaningful existence by default. --Chris Rose, 1 Dead in Attic
32. There are two ways of spreading light - to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it. --Edith Wharton
33. Volunteers do not necessarily have the time; they just have the heart. --Elizabeth Andrew
34. How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. --Anne Frank
35. As you wish. --The Princess Bride
36. I didn't run away to come home the same. --From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankenweiler
37. Why can't people just sit and read books and be nice to each other? --David Baldacci
38. Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional. --Chili Davis
39. There is still no cure for the common birthday. --John Glenn
And...lastly...to end the quote countdown with my birthday destination......
40. What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas.